Tuesday, October 12, 2010

What comes after Exhausted?

I need to know what comes after exhausted.  I was tired.  Then I was exhausted.  Now, I'm  . . .?  I'm not quite dead, but I'm close. 

It has been a day.  We've been without a night cook for over twelve weeks.  Finally hired someone.  He worked two days, then called in sick.  Sous chef hasn't had a day off in weeks, so today she told us in advance she would be unavailable. 

The day started with with a 6:00 am phone call from the Executive Chef informing us that he was now sick, followed closely by a phone call from one of the kitchen helpers.  It gets worse from there, but to cut a long story short, I was the Butterfield Place Chef today. 

I managed to get through breakfast, got help from several others to prepare lunch, and resorted to ordering pizza for supper.  Not only did I do breakfast by myself, I washed all the supper dishes.  And I am so tired that I would cry, but I don't have the energy.

My legs hurt.  My back hurts.  My feet hurt.  And I have completely lost my sense of humor about the situation. 

I'm sure that after a good  night's sleep, I'll be better tomorrow.  But I already know that tomorrow's going to be a repeat of today, because everyone is still sick.  I am dreading it.  But I'll get through it. 

Sorry, no words of wisdom tonight.  No witticisms or funny stories.  Just a plea for prayers and strength. 
Good night

No comments:

Post a Comment