Saturday, October 2, 2010

Sweet and Salty

I love things that are sweet and salty all at the same time.  Popcorn mixed with M&Ms.  Peanut brittle.  Potato chips dipped in chocolate.  (Don't knock it, till you've tried it!)

Today was a sweet, but salty day.  My brother is getting married and today was the bridal shower.  I really like his fiance'.  She a really sweet woman and they seem incredibly happy and terribly in love.  His daughters like her and seem pleased that their dad is adding her and her young son to their lives together. 

The shower was in Neosho and the women of our family all piled into a couple of cars and traveled together.  We talked and laughed on the way down.  The shower was lovely and we enjoyed meeting Amanda's family.  All in all, a very sweet time.  But so incredibly salty because of who wasn't there.

You see, we lost my mom two years ago this month.  Thyroid cancer.  Not as bad as it sounds because she didn't live like someone who had cancer.  No chemo, no radiation - just her first airplane ride, a trip to the East Coast, picnics and card games and, when her world became limited to a room and a bed, lots of love and laughter and sweet moments.  (Someday, when I'm really, really strong - I'm going to write about that time.  Just not ready yet.)

And today was sweet.  Precious, and lovely and a time for celebration.  And on the way home we wept.  Mom would have loved to have been there today.  She waited a long, long time for my brother to find a worthy woman.  She never even met Amanda.  But I'm pretty sure she would have liked her.  And she would have loved Isaac, Amanda's son.  See, mom always had a big soft spot for onery little boys with a twinkle in their eye.  That's why my brother always got away with everything that he did!  And she would have loved seeing her granddaughters, beautiful young women, doing all the things that women in this family do - together.

You were missed so much today, momma.  And I'm not really sure how we'll get through the wedding without you.  But Kelly and I will put on a rehearsal dinner that would make you proud.  We'll be doing it for Bill and Amanda, but it will be in honor of you.  You could always throw the best parties.  And you could make anything into an event. 

We'll do right by you on this one.   But you will definitely be missed.   Good thing I like my sweets with a little salty because I think this is definitely going to be one of those.  Love you, momma.

5 comments:

  1. Dang, Ginger! This one made me cry! (And that is not an easy thing to do!) Thanks for sharing. :)

    Tammy A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginger, what a sweet tribute to your mother. She was a sweetheart. She was the first babysitter for our first grandson, Ryan. He was killed in a car accident in November, 2005. What precious memories we have of both your mother and Ryan. Mary C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely tribute to your mother's memory and also a welcome to your soon to be sister in law. You have a gift for writing and expressed your feelings so well. Thank you for sharing it on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The favorite thing I remember about your Mom is that she let me do my laundry over at her house when we were visiting one time. It was such a foreign thing to me that people would let you do that and wouldn't even make a big deal. It still is a foreign thing. :) You don't have to have a lot of money or things to be a servant, you just have to be open when there is a need. That's what I remember about your Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ginger,
    As always, you expressed yourself eloquently and powerfully. You, Kelly and Billy are living tributes to your mom and dad. My prayers will be with the three of you and your dad as you enjoy this sweet and salty time. God bless.
    David

    ReplyDelete